NOTICE ABOUT 2020 NEW MEXICO STATE CONVENTION
Updated Monday, March 16, 2020
The following message was shared with all state/provincial/district chapter officers.
Warm greetings to all officers of State, Provincial and District Chapters from the Executive Board of International Chapter.
As we send this message, it is with loving concern for P.E.O. members, their families, and for the many P.E.O. communities across the continent that may already be affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Over the past few days, we have had many discussions concerning the welfare of our sisters and the logistics of our upcoming 2020 Conventions of State, Provincial and District Chapters.
As the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Public Health Agency of Canada, as well as state, provincial and district governmental declarations continue to evolve and restrict gatherings, our options have become more limited. As you know, the Executive Board of International Chapter is charged with managing the business of the Sisterhood and we take that very seriously. However, nothing is more important than the health and safety of our sisters.
After much deliberation and with heavy hearts, we have made the very difficult decision to cancel all 2020 Conventions of State, Provincial and District Chapters.
This decision is made out of loving concern for our members and their well-being, as well as the intent to be equitable among State, Provincial and District Chapters. With restrictions changing on a daily basis, if not hourly, and with 51 unique sets of circumstances, it would be hard to guarantee each State, Provincial and District Chapter had the ability to meet and conduct business.
We understand this will generate many questions and concerns about convention contracts and logistics, as well as handling the business of our State, Provincial and District Chapters, such as voting on proposed amendments, elections of executive board members and finances.
We know there will be many things to consider and we are working on these details. Please be patient with us as we continue to address each and every issue. We are blessed to have event planners, attorneys and our Parliamentarian of International Chapter as resources for these topics and we will work through them as quickly as possible.
For now, we ask for the following:
- Do follow the advice of the appropriate government authorities and STAY WELL!
- Do close registration for your conventions immediately.
- Do communicate with your membership regarding the cancelation by posting this notice on your state, provincial or district website, as well as forwarding to your local chapter presidents. Share with them that this is out of an abundance of caution for their well-being.
- Do continue to stay in touch with and express a loving concern for each sister.
- Do Not accept any more registrations or payments from those who planned to attend your convention.
- Do Not have any conversations with your convention venues or third-party vendors. We will soon be contacting you with details and assistance.
- Do Not send any more money to your venues for deposits.
We will be in touch as soon as we have more to share. Until then, please know that this is an all-team effort and we’re working as fast as we can. We ask that you try to hold off on sending individual questions. In the next few days, a member of the Executive Board of International Chapter will be in contact with each president of our State, Provincial and District Chapters.
We continue to send our deepest admiration and love to each of you. Thank you for your leadership and support of P.E.O.
Our hearts are with you.
Brenda, Patti, Cathy, Alix and Kay
Our dear presidents and all members of local chapters of the P.E.O. Sisterhood,
The Executive Board of International Chapter continues to monitor the information provided by the Canadian Public Health Agency and the United States' Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as national and regional restrictions which governments and public health officials have placed on anyone living on our continent.
We are extremely concerned for the health of our sisters and their families and that due to the COVID-19 pandemic emergency, the Executive Board of International Chapter has approved the following actions:
The Executive Board of International Chapter directs that no P.E.O. gatherings be held prior to May 10, 2020.
Gatherings include but are not limited to:
- Local Chapters, including all meetings (regular, social and special)
- Reciprocity Groups
- P.E.O. Groups
- Spring Workshops and other officer training events
- Organizations of New Chapters
- All P.E.O. events not described above.
- That authority be granted to presidents and treasurers of local chapters, P.E.O. Groups and Reciprocity Groups to pay necessary bills during the period P.E.O. gatherings are not to be held with ratification of these actions at the next regular business meeting after meetings resume.
- That all P.E.O. sponsored in-person fundraisers, including the P.E.O. Bed and Breakfast Program, be suspended until further notice due to the COVID-19 pandemic emergency.
The executive board may need to extend the date above of May 10, 2020 should our public officials make similar decisions.
Reach out to your chapter and reciprocity sisters through phone calls, email and social media.
Reach out to the unaffiliates in your area that are far from their home chapter.
Reach out to our inactive members.
Remember! Once a P.E.O.! Always a P.E.O.!
Our love to each of you,
Brenda, Patti, Cathy, Alix and Kay
Wednesday, March 18, 2020
The Executive Office sends love and greetings to all sisters during these difficult times.
Several updates have been issued over the last few weeks in an effort to keep our Sisterhood safe and informed. We also want to let you know that, as of now, the Executive Office is still open, but with reduced staff and capabilities. The health and safety of our employees is a top priority. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic emergency, and in compliance with guidance issued by governmental authorities, many of our employees have been sent home until at least April 1. Although some are able to work remotely, this change in routine presents challenges, which affects the level of service that we are currently able to offer.
- During these next few weeks, please be patient with us if response times are slower than normal. In addition, we want you to be aware of the following:
- ELF and PCE applications already submitted will continue to be processed. If your chapter has already voted to recommend an applicant, you may submit the online Chapter Recommendation Form. These recommendations require a vote taken at an in-person chapter meeting; therefore, new recommendations will be paused until chapters are able to meet again.
- IPS applications are being processed and will be forwarded to the IPS Board of Trustee for selection in early April.
- PSA and STAR applications are currently with their respective boards of trustees for selection.
- For COVID-19 updates for Cottey College, please go to https://cottey.edu/covid-19/.
- For scholarship funds held in P.E.O. Foundation, Individual Case History Forms already submitted will be processed and approved as possible.
The love and concern shared throughout P.E.O. these last few weeks is a testimony to the strength of our Sisterhood. We thank you for your understanding and wish you and your families health and safety.